Helping You Move Forward
Law Office of Gregory J. Eck, LLC Law Office of Gregory J. Eck, LLC
He went above and beyond what another attorney would have done.

Exchange Visitor Visas

Any foreign citizen who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa. Types of visas, aside from family-based and work visas, that individuals commonly seek assistance on include exchange visas and student visas.

The J visa (“exchange visitor” visa) is a nonimmigrant visa for individuals approved to participate in an exchange visitor program in the U.S. The exchange visitor categories outlined by the Department of State are:

  • Au pair
  • Camp counselor
  • Government visitor
  • International visitor
  • Physician
  • Short-term scholar
  • Professor and research scholar
  • Intern
  • Specialist
  • Student (secondary, college, or university)
  • Summer work travel
  • Teacher
  • Trainee

As evidenced by the above categories, the J-1 exchange visitor visa is primarily for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. 

There is also the Q-1 visa, which is for participating in certain international cultural exchange programs. Rather than for educational purposes, Q-1 visa programs aim to provide practical training and employment and allow program participants to share the history, culture, and traditions of their home countries in the U.S. Individuals seeking to participate in an international cultural exchange program must be approved in advance by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), based on a petition filed by their U.S. sponsor.

The B visa is a generic visitor nonimmigrant visa for individuals who seek to enter the country temporarily for business (B-1) or for tourism (B-2).

Student Visas

In order to study in the United States, a foreign student must obtain a student visa, which can be either an F visa or an M visa depending on the type of school they plan to attend. Generally, F visas cover university/college, high school, private elementary school, seminaries, conservatories, and other academic institutions like language training programs. M visas are for vocational or other recognized nonacademic institutions.

For shorter studies, a visitor visa (B) may suffice as it permits enrollment in a short recreational course of study that is not taken for credit toward a degree or academic certificate. However, study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a B visa, even if it is for a short period. 

Only schools approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) can warrant a student visa. So, the first step to obtaining a student visa is to apply for a SEVP-approved school in the U.S., after which the foreign student should register with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). From there, they should fill out Form I-20 and apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for their F or M student visa. 

Any family members (spouse or children) that intend to reside with the foreign student while they study in the U.S. must also enroll in the SEVIS, obtain Form I-20s from the SEVP-approved school, and apply for the visa. 

Let the Law Office of Gregory J. Eck Help You Apply

The Law Office of Gregory J. Eck offers comprehensive visa services, helping individuals navigate the visa application process for a variety of needs. Attorney Eck handles many types of visa applications, including exchange visitors, tourists, and student visas. He can help you gather all the necessary documents to build a swift and thorough application and walk you through your interview preparation so you can seamlessly enter the U.S. for your travel or study.

Schedule a free consultation with the Law Office of Gregory J. Eck to get started on your visa application today.

Service That Stands Apart

Why Choose the Law Office Of Gregory J. Eck?
  • Diligently Finds the Best Possible Solution
  • Licensed in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Florida
  • Payment Plans Available
  • Tailored Services for Each Client
  • Attorney Gregory J. Eck Speaks Spanish
  • An Attorney That Truly Cares

Contact Us Today

Request a Free Initial Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
Looking for More Information?